People sometimes ask me about being an American voice talent in Israel. Here are some of the questions and my answers:
- Where were you born?
I was born in Kansas (central USA), and I spent my formative years there.
- If you live in Israel, is your American accent truly American?
Yes, my accent is pure, and it is “General American”, also known as “accent-neutral”. Since I speak English with family and friends 95% of the time and spend much of my time recording American English voiceover, I have never acquired an Israeli accent. (I am not even able to imitate one!)
- Seeing as we are located in the States, and you are located in Israel, won’t turnaround take extra time?
It is true that most of your emails will reach me in the late evening, or while I’m sleeping. However, this also means that I will record your project while YOU are sleeping, so you will wake up with the completed voiceover in your inbox!
- Can you record Hebrew voiceover for us?
Yes, I can. However, I speak Hebrew with an American accent. Therefore, if your voiceover is intended for American Jews, I would be happy to record it. Otherwise, I recommend contacting a native Hebrew voice talent. Write me, and I’ll suggest a few.
- Can you record Jewish religious terms for us, without us having to explain the pronunciation of each word?
Yes, I can.
- Where in Israel do you live?
In the central area, close to Tel Aviv.
- Politics, blah blah blah?
Blah blah blah right back at you ;-)
That’s about it! If you have any other questions about being a voiceover in Israel, please feel free to write me.
Article by Victoria Feinerman